Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Strawberry Kokanee Salmon






Every September, kokanee salmon from Strawberry reservoir swim upstream towards the hatchery there, turn red, spawn and then die. I learned this back when I worked for the Uinta National Forest in Provo during my college days. Ever since then, I've wanted to see these red fish...and since it is located on our trips between Vernal and Salt Lake...you'd think I'd seen them by now...but nope! Well, Garrett's wedding provided the perfect weekend for the occasion and my family and I had so much fun exploring the hatchery and seeing the red beasts. This little mystery of life is just as fascinating as watching a caterpillar turn into a butterfly...and I recommend it to everyone who has a fascination for life. Go some time. It's something that must be viewed in person.

1 comments:

Brett and Diane said...

Wow! Thanks for the suggestion and info on Kokanee salmon I had no idea. That would be really neat to see.